Linda is a white plaster statue of a woman standing with her bare feet firmly planted on the ground and her hands behind her back. She is wearing a simple dress and looking straight ahead with a determined expression.

Elizabeth Wyn Wood

(Orillia, Ontario, 1903 – Toronto 1966)

 

Linda

about 1932

Plaster

202 x 68.5 x 57 cm

Gift of Mr. Bertram Brooker in 1938, officially acquired in 1957

Collection of the Winnipeg Art Gallery, G-57-126

Photo: Ernest Mayer


Linda, a larger-than-life statue of a woman, was made during the Great Depression. Standing barefoot in a plain dress, with legs apart, the unadorned figure illustrates female strength and determination. The frontal pose, stern demeanour and sturdy body denote stalwart courage. Despite the title, no one is known to have posed for this sculpture, which has been variously interpreted as an immigrant, a peasant and a labourer. Linda was a turning point in the career of Elizabeth Wyn Wood, marking her shift from landscape sculptures to works addressing the place of women in society.


Born in Orillia, Ontario, Elizabeth Wyn Wood displayed outstanding talent throughout her sculpture training at the Ontario College of Art. In 1928, she became a founding member of the Sculptors Society of Canada. Through her involvement in the society and later in the Canada Arts Council, from 1944 to 1949, Wyn Wood was an advocate for the recognition of women as professional artists. She is especially well known for her small-scale landscape sculptures, created in a style directly influenced by the Group of Seven.

WINNIPEG ART GALLERY

300 Memorial Boulevard
Winnipeg (Manitoba), R3C 1V1
204 786-6641

wag.ca »
Google Maps »